Tuesday, December 25, 2012

 

As the Crow Nests

Curious (and attentive) as I tend to be when it comes to words' meanings and etymologies, it is surprising that, until today, I thought of a "crow's nest" as a feature of sailing ships, and crows' nests as something to think carefully about walking (briskly) beneath. Today the connection became apparent, as I strolled through the Square du souvenir Français park in Haguenau. I believe this is the first year that the crows have squatted the trees in this park; they'd been in the ones near the station and, I'm told, in a stretch of land between Haguenau and Schweighouse-sur-Moder. The nests in the park are now starkly visible in the leafless trees against the grey sky. Crows, it appears, make their nests at the top of tall, tall trees.


Tags: :

Labels: , , , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?